i-Tree is a collection of software tools built upon peer-reviewed USDA Forest Service science to provide urban and rural forestry analysis and benefits assessment. These i-Tree tools help strengthen forest management and advocacy efforts by quantifying the environmental benefits that trees provide. Many i-Tree tools allow users to estimate the benefits provided by individual trees to demonstrate their value to stakeholders and assist with priorities for more effective decision-making with regard to management and planting efforts.
For years, The Davey Tree Expert Company (Davey), a partner in the i-Tree Cooperative (i-Tree), has provided an ad-hoc set of web services for individual tree analyses. With changes in technology since those services were released, Davey has invested in a new, updated tree benefits API (application programming interface) to strengthen delivery of these services, unify i-Tree results across all tools for users, provide timely scientific updates to said tools, and to expand 3rd party use of i-Tree.
- The API employs an expanded tree species list (mirroring what is available in the i-Tree Eco software — 7,000+).
- Davey will provide an API key, unique to each authorized user and this key will be used to track successful benefit requests for each tree.
- Davey will allow a testing phase. Once complete, Davey will begin billing for the API based on usage.
- This is not a free service — Davey charges for the service in order to maintain the service. A signed contract for said service is needed to use the API in production. The cost is $0.02 per tree (US Dollars).
- Davey can assist with existing tree databases to accommodate mass updates at a reduced rate. Contact us to discuss your needs.
- API users must attribute and link to i-Tree on any display of tree benefits derived from the API. Proper attribution includes an indication that the data or information is "Powered by i-Tree", including a legible display of the i-Tree logo, and, where applicable, a link to the www.itreetools.org website.
Who can use this API?
This API is intended for software developers — or motivated individuals — who wish to include i-Tree results within their software, such as web pages or mobile apps. For example, a company selling tree inventory software could use the API to display the ecosystem service benefits of each tree in their own user interface. A tree nursery web page could use the API to display on their product catalog these same benefits projected out over 40 years of the tree's lifespan. Remember, i-Tree must be attributed with such displays. Contact us to get set up!
- Documentation to use the API
- A copy of our contract agreement
- Example Term sheet for customer sign up
- Attribution logos — please help us spread the word about i-Tree by hyperlinking to www.itreetools.org when displaying them.
For more information about using The Davey Tree Benefits Engine, contact email@example.com.
For more information on i-Tree, please visit www.itreetools.org.
Did you know?
- Growing in Ohio, USA, one red maple can:
- Remove 108 pounds of Carbon Dioxide from the atmosphere.
- Intercept 640 gallons of rainfall and avoid 82 gallons of runoff.
- Filter a third of a pound of gaseous Ozone, Nitrogen Dioxide, and Sulfur Dioxide from the air we breathe.